Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wichita State adjusts to NCAA’s changing view of defense

Scorers, the NCAA is on your side.

Men’s basketball officials are starting the season in the spotlight. They are charged, by the NCAA, to take physical defense out of the game and let offenses flow freely after teams averaged 67.5 points last season, lowest since the 1951-52 season (63.3).

In the NCAA’s view, something needs to change.

“We felt like defense was way ahead of offense,” said Eddie Jackson, Missouri Valley Conference supervisor of men’s officials. “The game had become a game of physicality and not finesse.”

The changes are causing, if not panic, an uproar through the first weeks of scrimmages and exhibitions. Coaches are predicting long games caused by fouls and free throws. WSU coach Gregg Marshall said Baylor shot 23 free throws in a 20-minute scrimmage against WSU a week ago.

“The game is going to be a little different,” Marshall said. “You better have some depth. You’re going to see a lot more foul shots, you’re going to see a lot more foul trouble. You’re going to see people driving it to the basket.”
    Read more here: http://www.kansas.com/2013/11/01/309...#storylink=cpy

Here is a video discussing exactly what hand checking is and how it has affected the game in the NBA and probably will do in the college game as well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iMZ1lUz9rI

Comment

I don't see what the big deal is on letting teams play defense. How does it effect the game if the score isn't 104-109? Low scoring games are just as fun to watch as those high scoring ones.

Comment

Originally posted by dwbarcl View Post
        Low scoring games are just as fun to watch as those high scoring ones.
        I think the NCAA fears that not all feel that way.
        Livin the dream

Comment

Low scoring games are just as fun to watch as those high scoring ones.
          I am certain I am in the minority on this board, but I would rather see a 104-109 game than a 49-44 game. I thought watching the game against Detroit last spring was so much fun. With that said, I'm not sure the new rules are the best way to promote what they are looking for. For me, it's more about tempo and less about the number of baskets. A three hour long 100 point game with 50 foul calls is so much more tedious than a hard fought and clean 50 point game.

Comment

I don't see what the big deal is on letting teams play defense. How does it effect the game if the score isn't 104-109? Low scoring games are just as fun to watch as those high scoring ones.
            Especially if half of those 109 points are from free throws

Comment

Just wondering out loud. Could the ncaa be catering to the big boys because the last few years Butler, VCU and WSU have crashed the party at the final four. With defense. I think so.
              First a Baseball fan then a Volleyball fan and then I guess I follow the basketball team.

Comment

Originally posted by shock10 View Post
                Just wondering out loud. Could the ncaa be catering to the big boys because the last few years Butler, VCU and WSU have crashed the party at the final four. With defense. I think so.
                Thought the same thing.

And I think it's going to backfire on the NCAA. Look at all the complaining from EVERYWHERE and we're not even through the exhibition season.
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Can't you just wait for our national TV games, where ESPN thinks its two hour time slots are gonna work and everybody's waiting to watch their games are gonna miss the first half because the ones before them aren't gonna remotely end on time?

Should be quite a college basketball season on the tube.
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I'm wondering if they overreacted and are trying to do too much all at once. For example, if they just focused on hand checking but still allowed defenders to body up they would still keep defenders from using their hands to defend. Then the adaptation for defense is much smaller.
                    You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

The players are going to adjust to this very quickly. The NBA already did this without their games turning into free throw shooting contests.

Comment

This reminds me of flag football defense back in college. You literally had to defend with your arms behind your back.
                        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                          Can't you just wait for our national TV games, where ESPN thinks its two hour time slots are gonna work and everybody's waiting to watch their games are gonna miss the first half because the ones before them aren't gonna remotely end on time?

Should be quite a college basketball season on the tube.
                          This is where the biggest outcry will come from. The guys that pony up the television dollars and can't figure out how to keep the game to a predictable time slot.

Comment

What makes more difference in attendance, having teams average 2/3 of one basket fewer points in a game or $75 ticket prices?

Year <40 >89 GP PPG
                            2004 20 167 1383 68.8
                            2005 30 163 1456 68.7
                            2006 35 232 1770 69.0
                            2007 37 219 1751 69.1
                            2008 31 165 1732 68.1
                            2009 28 227 1773 69.2
                            2010 36 177 1817 68.6
                            2011 42 169 1856 67.6
                            2012 n.a.
                            2013 67.5
                            "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                            ---------------------------------------
                            Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                            "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                            "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
                              What makes more difference in attendance, having teams average 2/3 of one basket fewer points in a game or $75 ticket prices?

Year <40 >89 GP PPG
                              2004 20 167 1383 68.8
                              2005 30 163 1456 68.7
                              2006 35 232 1770 69.0
                              2007 37 219 1751 69.1
                              2008 31 165 1732 68.1
                              2009 28 227 1773 69.2
                              2010 36 177 1817 68.6
                              2011 42 169 1856 67.6
                              2012 n.a.
                              2013 67.5
                              Is this a multiple choice exam? If I do poorly will I be allowed to retake it? Will any of these questions be on the final?

Comment

Working...
                              X